Sunday, January 15, 2012

PAINTED LADY

The ranger said, "We tried to dynamite the old mine closed for safety reasons but instead opened the shaft for the bats, which turned out to be a good thing for everyone."  It seems that the Organ Pipe Cactus only bloom in the night and naturally, like all living things, need propagation. Bugs, except moths, don't wander around in the night so the bats take over the business of species extension for the night blooming cactus. A good fit.

20 foot tall Organ Pipe Cactus


Painted Lady Butterfly

One big black bug.  That's my cell phone for size. 

Jackie is dwarfed by this 200 (at least) year old Saguaro Cactus.

Floating right on top of the oil of this jar of Smucker's Natural Peanut butter was a chunk of black stuff.  It broke up easily between my fingers.  Yes, I sent "What is it" letter to Smucker,s.




2 comments:

Homeless said...

Just looking through some of your latest posts and you do a great job of capturing the beauty of the desert. Thanks for the great photos.

Richard Boyd said...

Thanks Johnny, I'm happy someone is enjoying the pictures other than myself. And I'll inturn thank you for your www.freecampgrounds.com I've used it often. I'm going back over to you home page, http://hitekhomeless.net/ to see where else you've traveled in the last 4 years. Slab City~~Once is enough, but a hoot non-the-less.