Monday, April 21, 2014

AIN'T YOUR MAMA'S MOAB

Edward Abbey circa 1965 foretold, in his sagacious bluntness, of the devastation about to unfold for this use-to-be quaint and strikingly magnificent, picturesque little town. If I remember the quote correctly, he said, “ We are f’ing ourselves to death. Well Ed you nailed it, your beloved town of Moab, UT has become just another elbow to asshole, curio peddling,  bicycle grinding, Jeep smoking, 4 Wheeling whining, RV dumping ground. It’s nothing more than hordes of people watching other people be “cool.” The Disneyland of Utah.  

From this RV park, sitting on the Colorado River, I’ve been able to squint between new construction above the highway and existing lodging, to offer a couple of  pictures. Yes, I’m part of the problem, will I be again, NO!  This is a horrid, yet an enlightening moment. Affluence and overpopulation, in my leftist myopic view, is the scourge that has ruined so much of America’s natural beauty and uniqueness.

Can't get out of here fast enough. Maybe it's just my desire to be far from the throng, any crowd and void of the pack. Could it be I don't like getting old and am jealous of the young that enjoy this place so much? The only fun thing for me was opening the RV's door at 10 O'clock last night, blowing a slow, sad-sweet blues riff and hearing someone yell, "Right on man"...He must have been drunk...I was.






      Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder.


No comments: